This article explains how GenRocket works with databases -- specifically how to import your data model into GenRocket Web from a database and how to populate a database via the GenRocket Runtime.
To see a list of supported databases please go to this link.
The below context diagram shows how GenRocket can read in a database's meta data and then populate it. Please see explanation of components critical to this below.
Local Computer or Server
- Customer Components: These are components specific to an organization.
- Database: This is the organization's database that would be populated via GenRocket.
- JDBC Properties File: This file contains the information for the GenRocket Runtime to connect to the specific database. It is referenced in GenRocket Web as a Resource.
- DDL File: This is a file that defines the organization's database meta data that can be uploaded to GenRocket Web to create one or more Domains.
- XTS File: This is a file that defines the organization's database meta data in GenRocket Export Table Schema Format that can be uploaded to GenRocket Web to create one or more Domains.
- GenRocket Components
- GenRocket Runtime: This component can run GenRocket Scenarios that are downloaded from GenRocket Web to populate a database by reading a JDBC file that is referenced in the Resources on GenRocket Web.
- Export Table Schema: This is a component that can be run via the GenRocket Runtime to export the database's meta data. Once the file is created, it can be imported to GenRocket Web.
- Scenario File: Contains a set of instructions that allows the GenRocket Runtime to generate data.
GenRocket Web Platform
- The GenRocket Web Platform is where organizations model Domains and manage Scenarios.
- Management Components
- Organization: Represents a unique place where all GenRocket components are created, managed, and contained within the GenRocket web ecosystem.
- Project: Represents a unique place where all Domains, Scenarios, and their respective subcomponents are defined, managed, and contained.
- Project Version: Represents a unique version of a GenRocket project.
- Resources: Consist of a name and a value that can be referenced by the parameters of a Generator or a Receiver. For connecting to a database, Resources can be used to point to a JDBC file on a user's local machine or server.
- Importer Components
- DDL Importer: This component can create GenRocket Domains by reading a DDL file.
- XTS Importer: This component can create GenRocket Domains by reading a GenRocket XTS file. This file is created by the GenRocket Runtime.
- Data Modeling Components: These 5 components are used to define the test data to populate the database. If you are not familiar with these components, please read more about them in the main concept section.
- Domains: Represents a noun.
- Attributes: Describes a characteristic of a GenRocket Domain.
- Generators: Generates a specific type of synthetic data.
- Receivers: Morphs raw generated data into a specific type of usable formatted data.
- Scenario: Defines a set of instructions that determine how much and in what order Domains generate data.
- Management Components