How GenRocket works with Databases
This article explains how GenRocket works with databases -- specifically how to import your data model into GenRocket Web from a database and how to populate a database via the GenRocket Runtime.
The below context diagram shows how GenRocket can read in a database's meta data and then populate it. Please see explanation of components critical to this below.
Local Computer or Server
- Customer Components: These are components specific to an organization.
- Database: This is the organization's database that would be populated via GenRocket.
- JDBC Properties File: This file contains the information for the GenRocket Runtime to connect to the specific database. It is referenced in GenRocket Web as a Resource.
- DDL File: This is a file that defines the organization's database meta data that can uploaded to GenRocket Web to create one or more Domains.
- XTS File: This is a file that defines the organization's database meta data in GenRocket Export Table Schema Format that can be uploaded to GenRocket Web to create one or more Domains.
- GenRocket Components
- GenRocket Runtime: This component can run GenRocket Scenarios that are downloaded from GenRocket Web to populate a database by reading a JDBC file that is referenced in the Resources on GenRocket Web.
- Export Table Schema: This is a component that can be run via the GenRocket Runtime to export the database's meta data. Once the file is created, it can be imported to GenRocket Web.
- Scenario File: Contains a set of instructions that allows the GenRocket Runtime to generate data.
GenRocket Web Platform
- The GenRocket Web Platform is where organizations model Domains and manage Scenarios.
- Management Components
- Organization: Represents a unique place where all GenRocket components are created, managed, and contained within the GenRocket web ecosystem.
- Project: Represents a unique place where all Domains, Scenarios, and their respective subcomponents are defined, managed, and contained.
- Project Version: Represents a unique version of a GenRocket project.
- Resources: Consist of a name and a value hat can be referenced by the parameters of a Generator or a Receiver. For connecting to a database, Resources can be used to point to a JDBC file on a user's local machine or server.
- Importer Components
- DDL Importer: This component can create a GenRocket Domains by reading a DDL file.
- XTS Importer: This component can create a GenRocket Domains by reading a GenRocket XTS file. This file is created by the GenRocket Runtime.
- Data Modeling Components: These 5 components are used to define the test data to populate the database. the If you are not familiar with these components please read more about them in the main concept section.
- Domains: Represents a noun.
- Attributes: Describes a characteristic of a GenRocket Domain.
- Generators: Generates a specific type of synthetic data.
- Receivers: Morphs raw generated data into a specific type of usable formatted data.
- Scenario: Defines a set of instructions that determine how much and in what order Domains generate data.
- Management Components