Scratch Pad provides a quick method for creating a Domain with all the necessary Attributes. This article shows how to create a new Domain using Scratch Pad and how to alter Generators and their parameters for the created Domain.
In This Article
- Step 1 - Use the GenRocket Scratch Pad to Create the Domain
- Step 2 - Enter a Domain Name and the Attributes
- Step 3 - Preview and Save the Attributes
- Step 4 - Globally Edit One or More Attributes
- Step 5 - Select the FlexibleDateRangeGen Generator for the birthDate Attribute
- Step 6 - Edit the Parameters
- Step 7 - Save the Changes
- Step 8 - Review your New User Domain
- Video Tutorial
Step 1 - Use the GenRocket Scratch Pad to Create the Domain
- Click the New Domain button within the Domains pane on the Project Dashboard.
- Click the Scratch Pad menu option.
Step 2 - Enter a Domain Name and the Attributes
- Enter the Name parameter for your Domain. In this example, we have chosen to create a Domain called User.
- Enter a Delimiter (e.g., Comma, Linefeed) or select a delimiter from the drop-down menu. For this example, Linefeed is selected. This option provides a quick, easy way to enter the Attributes into Scratch Pad.
- The Column Delimiter is only mandatory when an Attribute contains additional information such as the size, type, etc. For this example, an option has not been chosen.
- Type whatever Attributes you want to add into the Attributes text area. No additional information will be provided besides each Attribute's name for this example.
- Click the Create with Generators button. When this button is clicked, the Data Warehouse will automatically assign Generators to the Attributes.
Note: To include additional information for the Attribute (size, type, etc.), the appropriate Column Delimiter will need to be chosen. Then paste or type this information with the Attribute Name. See the example below:
Step 3 - Preview and Save the Attributes
- Next, review the Attributes to be added to the created Domain. A checkmark means the Attribute will be added to the Domain.
- You can click on the checkbox to ensure an Attribute is not added to the Domain. For this example, phoneNumber has been unchecked and will not be added to the Domain when created.
- Click the Save button to finish.
Step 4 - Globally Edit One or More Attributes
Scratch Pad provides a way to quickly change the Generators automatically assigned to the Attributes by the Data Warehouse. You can do the following:
- Set filters and view Generators are being used by Attributes.
- Replace the currently assigned Generator for one or more Attributes.
- Make Generator Parameter configuration changes for one or more Attributes.
(Optional) Assign a different Generator to Attributes
You can also assign a new Generator to one or more selected (checked) Attributes.
- Tick the checkbox for each Attribute.
- Type the Generator name or select it from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Set Generator button to finish.
(Optional) Modify Generator Parameter Configuration
Scratch Pad also provides a way to quickly edit the parameter setting for each Generator. The Generators in Use menu can be used to see what Attributes are using a specific Generator and for modifying Generator Parameters.
Step 5 - Select the FlexibleDateRangeGen Generator for the birthDate Attribute
In this example, the FlexibleDateRangeGen Generator was assigned to birthDate; however, the Generator's parameter configuration needs to be changed because we have decided to generate birth dates between 1955 and 2000.
- Select the FlexibleDateRangeGen Generator within the Generators In Use menu.
- Next, click on the Modify Generator Parameters button.
Step 6 - Edit the Parameters
In this example, we want to set the startDate parameter to 1955-01-01 and have the end range end in 45 years.
- Click on the Edit (Pencil) button to quickly make these changes.
Step 7 - Save the Changes
Click on the Save (Disk) icon to the right of the data field to save any changes.
Note: Click the Close button to return and make additional changes to assigned Generators or Parameter Configurations. Click the Close button again to exit the dialog window and view the new Domain.
Step 8 - Review the New User Domain
The following has been created/added using Scratch Pad:
- A new User Domain was added to the Project
- The Attributes were added to the User Domain
- Generators were assigned to generate the necessary data
- The birthDate parameters were modified to generate the data in the desired date range
Note: The first and last names have also been randomized in the preview example below: