GenRocket offers its own method of data masking called Synthetic Data Replacement (SDR). The Synthetic Data Replacement approach offers a number of advantages that are not offered by traditional Test Data Management (TDM) tools.
GenRocket Data Masking Features
- Non-sensitive data is migrated from a source database to a destination database using the GMigration feature
- Sensitive production data values have GenRocket Domains and Attributes created for them (e.g. a User Domain with Attributes like Name, Phone Number, SSN, Credit Card, etc.)
- When data is migrated using GMigration GenRocket simultaneously generates synthetic data for the sensitive data values that are required in the destination database.
- Sensitive production data is never looked at, stored, or moved outside of the production database so the Synthetic Data Replacement process is 100% secure.
- Also, synthetically generated data through the Synthetic Data Replacement process is higher quality for testing than masked production data
- Data can meet all conditions; e.g. Credit Card values do not start with 666
- Data can meet all rules; e.g. only generate SSN numbers for U.S. residents
- Data can be automatically generated for edge case tests
- Data can have controlled amount of null data; e.g. 20% of credit cards should have no number
- As GenRocket's primary focus is to generate high quality data and blend some queried production data, data discovery features are not offered by GenRocket.
- While traditional Test Data Management (TDM) tools offer data discovery tools they are not 100% accurate and cannot guarantee that they will discover every sensitive data field in an entire application or database
- As GenRocket's approach to test data automation provides higher quality data, faster delivery, and many automations vs. traditional TDM tools the GenRocket team has chosen not to add data discovery to the platform
- GenRocket is a Test Data Automation platform and is not a data analytics tool. There are many comprehensive data analytics tools on the market that can look at and profile production data; this is not GenRocket's area of focus.
GenRocket Data Masking (Synthetic Data Replacement) Solutions Video
The following 6 minutes video show GenRocket's data masking and subsetting features to migrate data from a database table.
We also have a blog post about how the industry is moving away from traditional TDM practices to synthetic test data generation.