The Project Categories feature has been added to help companies effectively organize and maintain Projects within the GenRocket web platform.
This feature provides the ability to create a folder structure for project grouping or classification within the Project Dashboard using dot notation. Project Categories can be used to group or classify projects by location, department, division, etc.
Folder Structure Example:
- Europe. Western.Development
When browsing Projects in the Project Dashboard, this example would appear as shown below when at least one Project has been added to each folder structure (i.e. project category):
How to Set Up and Use Project Categories
To use Project Categories, you will need to do the following:
- Access Project Categories in the GenRocket web platform.
- Create 1 or more Project Categories.
- Add 1 or more Projects to each Project Category
Step 1: Access Project Categories
Project Categories can be accessed in 1 of 2 ways:
- Expand the Management menu and then click on Project Categories.
- Click on the Project Category Management button within the Projects Pane.
Next, click on the Manage Categories button in the pop-up dialog.
Step 2: Create One or More Project Categories
- Click on the Add Category button to create a new Project Category.
- Enter the Folder Structure using dot notation (i.e. Folder1.Folder2.Folder3).
- Enter a Description for the category. While not required, a description is recommended.
- The new Project Category will appear as shown below.
- Once your categories have been created, you will be able to add Projects to each category for improved organization and management.
Step 3: Add Project(s) to Your Project Categories
After at least one Project Category has been added, you will be able to add a Project to the Project Category.
- Click on the Project Category Management button within the Projects Pane for a specific Project.
- Tick the radial button for the appropriate Project Category to select it.
- Click the Save button once finished.
Note: To remove a Project from a Project Category, select the None radial button and then click the Save button.
Note: To change the currently assigned Project Category for a Project, select the radial for the new category and then click the Save button.
How to View and Browse Projects by Project Category
Projects can be browsed using the new folder structure from the Project Dashboard by completing these steps:
- Click on the Browse icon within the Projects Pane.
- Next, click on the Project Category button located to the left of the filter field.
- The file structure will appear similar to what is shown below and can be used to locate specific projects.
Managing Project Categories and Added Projects
Several actions can be taken once one or more Project Categories have been set up and Projects have been added to them. These options are located in the Action Column of the Project Categories Dashboard, as shown below:
|Move Projects||This icon is only present when at least one Project has been added to a Project Category. It can be used to move ALL Projects from one category to another.|
Select the Destination Project Category and then click the Save button.
|Show Projects Associated with Project Category||This icon can be used to view a pop-up dialog consisting of a list of Projects within the Project Category.|
|Edit Project Category||This icon can be used to modify the Project Category Name and Description.|
|Delete Project Category||This icon can be used to delete the Project Category.|