- Variable Referencing at the Organization Level
- When Should Organization Variables Be Used?
- How do Organization Variables Work?
- Sample Story
- Step 1 - Access and View Organization Variables
- Step 2 - Create an Organization Variable Suite
- Step 3 - Create an Organization Variable
- Step 4 - Reference the Organization Variable
- Additional Information
When Should Organization Variables Be Used?
How do Organization Variables Work?
An Account ID Number must be referenced and used by testers in several Projects within the Organization. Without using Organization Variables, this variable would need to be created within each Project it needs to be referenced within.
An Organization Variable can be created within a suite so that each tester does not have to create the same variable multiple times. Once created, each tester can reference the variable as needed throughout every Project within the Organization.
Step 1 - Access and View Organization Variables
Organization Variable Suites can be viewed and managed by expanding the Management drop-down menu and selecting Organization Variables.
Step 2 - Create an Organization Variable Suite
Organization Variables are created and managed within an Organization Variable Suite. Users can create one or many suites within the web platform. Each suite can contain multiple variables.
If the suite has already been created, continue to Step 3; otherwise, complete these steps:
- Click the Create Variable Suite button.
- Enter a Name and Description.
- Click the Save button.
Step 3 - Create an Organization Variable
Next, create the Organization Variable that will be referenced. Each variable has a Name and Value. The value is what will be used when the variable is referenced.
- Click the Create Variable button.
- Enter a Name and Value.
- Click the Save button.
Step 4 - Reference the Organization Variable
An Organization Variable can be referenced across every Project within an Organization.
Example 1 - Referencing an Organization Variable in Generator Parameters
An Organization Variable can be referenced within an Attribute's Generator Parameter configuration.
- Double click on a Parameter input field.
- Select the Organization Variables Tab.
- Click the Plus (+) to select an Organization Variable.
For this example, the startRange Parameter for an id Attribute will reference the Organization Variable and increment it by one for each record.
Example 2 - Referencing an Organization Variable within a Test Data Case
Organization Variables can also be referenced within the Self Service module by a Test Data Case. This can be done by viewing the Test Data Case Domain within the G-Case.
- Click on the View Test Case Domain icon within the Action Column.
- Within a Test Data Case Domain, create a new Attribute or add an existing Attribute and change its configuration.
- For this example, we will add an account Attribute. Click the Add Attribute button.
- Enter the Attribute's Name and click Save.
- For this example, we have replaced the default assigned Generator with the RangeGen Generator.
- Double click to add a Reference for a Generator Parameter.
- Select the Organization Variables Tab and click the Plus (+) for the appropriate Organization Variable Suite.
- Remember to click the Save Generator button after making any changes!
In this example, the first record will start with the Organization Variable value and then increment by 1 for each record:
The following articles provide additional information:
|What are Organization Variables?||Learn more about Organization Variables.|
|What are Organization Variable Suites?||Learn more about Organization Variable Suites.|
|How do I create an Organization Variable Suite?||Learn more about creating Organization Variable Suites.|
|Managing Organization Variable Suites||Learn more about editing and managing Organization Variable Suites.|
|Creating and Managing Organization Variables||Learn more about creating and managing Organization Variables in a suite.|