Important: You must be an Organization Admin to view, create, and manage all Teams, assigned Members, and assigned Permissions in GenRocket. Note that the rules in Team Permissions do not apply to Organization Administrators. Users assigned to the Organization Admin role will have access to all GenRocket Projects, Domains and Scenarios and will also be able to modify Resources and Organization Variables.
The GenRocket Team Permissions feature ensures users are only able to access the appropriate Projects and manage permitted information such as Domains or Scenarios for those Projects.
Setting up GenRocket Teams with specified Projects, Team Members, and Team Permissions prevents unwanted changes such as deleted Projects, Domains, or Scenarios.
The following applies to GenRocket Team Permissions:
- A Team can have multiple Projects.
- A Project can only be assigned to one Team.
- Team Member access is based on assigned Team Permissions.
- Team Permissions are specific to each Project and Team Member.
Note: Users added as Members are able to see what Teams they are part of within the Project Dashboard when logged into the GenRocket web platform.
The following information is provided in this article:
- Available Actions by User Role
- Available Team Permissions
- Team Permissions Example
- Team Dashboard Navigation
- Additional Information
Available Actions by User Role
|User Role||Permitted Actions|
|Organization Admin||An Organization Admin is able to perform the following actions: |
Note: The rules in Team Permissions do not apply to Organization Administrators. Users assigned to the Organization Admin role will have access to all GenRocket Projects, Domains and Scenarios and will also be able to modify Resources and Organization Variables.
|Team Manager||A Team Manager is able to perform the following actions:|
Note: A Team Manager can access the Team Dashboard and access only those Teams where they have been assigned the Team Manager role.
A Team Member can only view the Teams they belong to and access permitted functionality:
Note: For example, if a User is assigned to a Team with 1 Project and Domain permissions, they will only be able to view the Project. For the project, they are able to manage its Domains and their Attributes.
Available Team Permissions
Eight Team Permissions are available for each Team Member added to a Team. These permissions determine what a User (i.e. Team Member) is able to do when working with a specific Project within the GenRocket web platform.
Example: Members added to the Domain Group for a Project are only able to manage Domains and their Attributes in the Dashboard for that Project.
Note: This information may be configured when the Team is created or at a later time by editing the Team's information.
|Project||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and delete the selected Project as well as create Presets for the Project. They cannot modify Project Resources or Organizational Variables.|
Note: If a Project does not belong to a Team, then the Project is accessible by everyone within the Organization.
|Domain||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove Domains and their Attributes for the selected Project. |
Attributes can only be managed through the Domain Dashboard, which is accessed by clicking on the Domain Name in the Project Dashboard.
|Scenario||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove the following for the selected Project:|
|Cases||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove Test Data Cases for the selected Project.|
|Rules||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove Test Data Rules for the selected Project.|
|Queries||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove Test Data Queries for the selected Project.|
|Stories||Users assigned this permission are able to create, edit, and remove Stories for the selected Project.|
|Pairwise||Users assigned this permission are able to create, manage, and remove Pairwise Functions for a selected Project.|
|EDI||Users assigned this permission are able to access and manage EDI Projects.|
Team Permissions Example
An Organization needs to set up a Team for 1 Project with 3 Team Members. The Team Members require the following access:
- User 1 - Team Manager with Project Access
- User 2 - Team Member with Domain Access
- User 3 - Team Member with Scenario Access
To do so, they will need to complete the following steps:
- Step 1: Access and View Teams in GenRocket
- Step 2: Create the New Team
- Step 3: Assign a Project to the Team
- Step 4: Assign Users as Team Members
- Step 5: Assign a User as the Team Manager
- Step 6: Assign/Modify Team Permissions for each Team Member
- Completed Story
Step 1: Access and View Teams in GenRocket
The Team Management Menu option may be used to manage existing Teams and to create new Teams for your Organization.
Note: Members with these assigned roles may access and view Team Permissions: GenRocket Admin, Organization Admin, and Team Manager (Assigned Teams Only).
To access and view Teams, complete these steps:
- Expand the Management Menu in the navigation bar of the Project Dashboard.
- Select the Team Management option.
- All Teams added for your Organization within the GenRocket web platform are displayed within a table (see image below).
- Click on a Team Name within the table to view its information, make changes, or to delete it.
Note: This table will be empty if no Teams have been created. Please refer to the next section to learn how to create a new Team.
Step 2: Create the New Team
Multiple Teams may be created to match the structure and access needs of your Organization. Each Team can be assigned one or more Projects.
To create a new Team, complete the following steps:
- Click on Create to begin setting up a new team.
- Click on each input field to enter a Name and Description for the Team.
- Click Create to finish creating the Team.
Step 3: Assign a Project to the Team
Once a Team has been created within the GenRocket web platform, you will be able to assign one or more Projects to the Team.
Note: If it is an existing Project is assigned to the Team, all assigned Team Members will have access to the project.
Important: A Project can only be added to one Team. As soon as a Project is added to a Team, that particular Project will not be displayed in any other Team's available Projects list.
To add a Project to a Team, complete the following steps:
- Click on Add Projects to view Projects within your Organization.
- In the Add Projects pop-up window, scroll up or down within the Available Column to view all Projects within your Organization.
- Use the Search Field to locate specific Projects. Click and type in all or part of the Project Name.
- Click to select a Project and then click the right-facing arrow within the Available column. The selected Project will appear in the Chosen column.
Note: You may also perform a shift+click action and then click the right-facing arrow to select multiple Projects.
- Use the +Choose All option at the bottom of the Available column to add all Projects within your Organization to the Team. All Projects will automatically be added to the Chosen column when using this option.
Note: Use the +Clear All option or the left-facing arrow to remove Projects from the Chosen Column.
- Once all desired Projects have been selected, click Add to finish.
- Added Projects will appear within the table.
Step 4: Assign Users as Team Members
Once a Project has been added to a Team, Users may be assigned as Team Members. One Team Member may be assigned as the Team Manager for the Team (see next step).
- Click on Add Members to Team to view and select from available users.
- In the Add Members pop-up window, scroll up or down within the Available Column to view all Users within your Organization.
- Use the Search Field to locate specific Users. Click and type in all or part of the User's Name.
- Click on a User Name within the Available column and then click the right-facing arrow. The selected user will appear in the Chosen column.
Note: You may also perform a shift+click action and then click on the right-facing arrow to select multiple users.
- Click on the + Choose All option at the bottom of the Available column to add all users in your Organization to the Chosen column.
Note: Use the +Clear All option or the left-facing arrow to remove users from the Chosen column.
- Once all desired users have been selected, click Add to finish adding the selected users as Members.
- Added Members will appear within the table for the selected Group.
- They will need to click on the Team Icon located in the Projects pane of the Project Dashboard to view this information.
Note: This icon will not be present for users who have the Organization Admin role.
Step 5: Assign a User as the Team Manager
Next, one User can be assigned as the Team Manager. This individual is able to manage the team including Projects, Team Members, and Team Permissions.
- Click on the Make Team Manager icon.
- Click Yes in the pop-up message.
- The Team Manager icon will appear green for the selected User.
Note: Click on the icon again to remove the User as Team Manager.
Step 6: Assign/Modify Team Permissions for each Team Member
For every Project within a Team, Team Members may be assigned one or all of eight permissions. These permissions determine what the User is able to do when working with a specific Project assigned to the Team.
- Click on the Assign Permissions icon.
- Click on the checkbox for each Team Permission to be assigned to the Team Member.
- Click Close once finished.
Note: More than one can be assigned and these vary per Project. Permissions may also be assigned to members based on permission level through the Permissions View.
The following shows the completed Team configuration for the example above. It has one Project and three Team Members. the first User has been assigned as the Team Manager.
Team Dashboard Navigation
This section can be used to learn more about the panes, options, and buttons that appear within the Team Dashboard.
Team Dashboard Panes
The Project Pane shows all Projects currently assigned to the Team and can be used add, remove, and manage assigned Projects.
The Members Pane shows all Team Members (i.e. Users) assigned to the Team as well as the Team Manager. It can be used to add, remove, and manage assigned Team Members as well as individual Team Permissions. Project version access for each team member may also be viewed from this pane.
This pane has 2 views for managing the information:
- All Members View (default view) - Assign permissions to a single Team Member.
- Permissions View - Assign one or more Team Members to a specific permission level.
Team Dashboard Buttons
The following Buttons can be found within the Team Dashboard:
|Save||Save any changes to the currently viewed Team.|
|Delete||Delete the currently viewed Team from GenRocket.|
Note: Click the Delete button and then Yes in the pop-up window to remove a Team from GenRocket.
|Add Projects||Add one or more Projects to the selected Team.|
|Add Members to Team||Add one or more Users as Team Members for the Team.|
|Add Team Members to Permission Level||A Team Manager can assign Team Members directly to the selected Project's permission level.|
|Page Navigation||When several Projects and Team Members have been added to a Team, these options can be used to do the following:|
Team Dashboard Icons
The following Action Icons can be found within the Team Dashboard:
|Copy Permission Level Access to Project(s)||A Team Manager can copy all Team Permissions from 1 Project to another directly.|
Note: This icon will only be present when at least 2 Projects have been assigned to the Team.
|Copy Member(s) to Project||A Team Manager can copy Team Member Permissions for a specific Permission Level (Domain, Rules, etc.) to another Project within the Team.|
|Move Project||Move the Project to another Team.|
|Delete||Delete a Project or Team Member from the Team.|
Note: Click the Delete icon and then Yes in the pop-up window to remove a Project or Team Member from the Team.
|View All Project Version Access||View Team Member Project Version Access for all Projects added to the Team.|
|Assign Permissions||Assign Team Permissions to the Team Member.|
|Make Team Manager||Assign the User as the Team Manager for the Team.|
|Remove Team Manager||Remove the User as the Team Manager from the Team.|
This section provides additional information for creating Projects when a member of a Team and working with Teams after they have been created in GenRocket.
Creating Projects - Users who are Part of 1 or More Teams
Team assignments will vary based on whether or not the User has been assigned as a Team Member of one or more Teams.
- User is a Member of 1 Team - Project will be automatically added to the Team they belong to and only the User who created the Project will have all the permissions to the Project. A Team Manager may set other member's permissions on the given Team Project.
- User is a Member of 2 or more Teams - The system will prompt the User to select 1 Team to add to the Project. Then, the Project will be automatically added to the selected Team, and only the User who created the Project will have all the permissions to the Project. A Team Manager may set other member's permissions on the given Team Project.
Moving Projects to Another Team
A Project can be moved to any other Team set up for your Organization. When a Project is moved, the current Team Member and Team Permissions configuration will remain intact.
- Click on the Move Icon within the Action Column to move the Project to another Team.
- Select a Team from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save to save the change.
Adding Team Members to a Permission Level
Multiple Team Members may be added to a specific permission level within the Permissions View of the Team Dashboard. If Team Permissions have not been assigned to members, this view will appear as shown below:
To assign to Team Members based on Permission Level, complete these steps:
- Click on a Permission Level (i.e. Rules, Cases, etc.) to select it.
- Click Add Members To Permission Level.
- Select one or more Team Members in the Available column and click the right-facing arrow to add them to the Chosen column.
- Click Add to add the Team Member(s) to the selected Permission Level.
- Each selected Team Member will appear on the right side Members pane.
Copying Team Permissions
Team Permissions may be copied from one Project to another. Team Permissions for a specific Permission Level may also be copied to another Project within the Team.
To copy permissions, complete these steps:
- Click on the Copy Icon (looks like 2 pages).
- Mark the checkbox for each Project the permissions should be copied to and then click Copy.
- Click Copy in the confirmation window to finish.
Viewing a Team Member's Project Version Access
To view what Project Versions a Team Member has access to, complete the following steps:
- Click the View All Project Version Access icon within the Action column of the All Members View tab.
- The dialog window will show each Project and Project Version the Team Member has access.